Recent Fire Damage Posts

Don’t let your summer plans go up in flames! Simple ways to prevent a fire

7/5/2019 (Permalink)

Fire in Brookline, MA home caused by electrical equipment

Summer time is here and the last thing you want to deal with is a house fire! Some of the most common causes of fire damage are:

  1. Cooking equipment
  2. Careless smoking
  3. Electrical equipment
  4. Lawn Mowers
  5. Barbecues
  6. Flammable liquids

Many cooking fires are caused by grease or oil that ignites while unattended. A lot of grill fires are caused by mishandled propane gas. Smoking indoor or outdoor and not properly putting out the bud can spark a fire. Also lawn mowers can build up flammable vapors and when combined with heat source go up in flames in your garage. Short circuits and electrical malfunctions can also cause a fire to start in a home.

The good news is that all of these causes of fire can be prevented. When cooking for large group have a designated cook who will watch over the food on the stove or grill until it has cooked and then properly shuts the stove or grill. Always grill outdoors and away from any structures.  Have baking soda or a bucket of sand nearby in case you need to put out a fire. NEVER add water to grease fire. Try to smoke outdoors when you can, ensure the bud is completely put out by dipping in water or a bucket of sand.  Check the batteries on your smoke detectors regularly. Also, keep flammables away from fire sources. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby!

Accidents happen, in the unfortunate event that there is a fire call 911 immediately and get to a safe location!  

When the fire has been put out assess the damages to determine if you need to put in a claim with your property insurance carrier. Once complete begin the remediation process by reaching out to a professional like us! Although we cannot get what was lost back - Our job is to make it look like the fire never happened.

#Boston #SERVPRO #Allston #Brighton #Brookline #Fire #Homefire #electricalequipment

#firesafety #remediation #reconstruction

Don't Overload Your Outlets!

6/5/2019 (Permalink)

MA home experienced fire due to overloading outlet

Don't add more than what your outlet can handle!

Overloaded circuits is one of the leading cause of fires in homes. It can be as simple as an overloaded outlet! There is too much energy which the conductor does not have the capacity to disperse. The energy build up converts to heat. The heat build up with the static from the electricity cause fire to ignite. 

If a fire starts in your home due to an overloaded circuit do not try to handle the fire on your own as you can risk electrocution. Instead, call 911 and get yourself and your family to a safe place. Once the fire has been put out call your insurance company and a remediation company like us to help get your home back to pre loss condition.

We are always here to help in the event of a fire in your home or commercial space. We offer local support and expertise 24/7 to ensure you are taken care of! Give SERVPRO Allston Brighton, & Brookline a call at 617-903-5055.

 Learn more 

Decrease Chances of a Fire and Your Electric Bill

5/17/2019 (Permalink)

Fire damage in Dorchester, MA home caused by a lamp

Electrical fires are extremely scary and cannot be simply put out with water. Our crew was called to a Dorchester, MA home because a fire was caused by a lamp (see picture). there was extensive damage to the walls, ceiling and their personal belongings. According to the residents the lamp was left on over night. after further investigation it was uncovered that not only was the lamp connected to an overloaded extension cord but it also had a light bulb with WATTS that exceeded what was recommended by the lamp. 

What can you do?

To prevent something like this from happening to your home - First you must ensure the lamp and light bulb are compatible. Then if you can avoid using an extension cord, do so. Extension cord overload have been a leading cause of fire as well. You need to be cautious of how you are using your extension cords because the more you plug in the higher the chances of a spark. Finally, when you are not using a lamp or any electrical accessory unplug it. This will not only prevent a potential fire but it will also help you save on your electrical bill. the reason being is that even though you physically do not have the lamp, radio, etc. on because it is plugged to an outlet there is active electrical currents going through. 

In the unfortunate event there is a fire caused by electrical equipment call 911 immediately. Do not try to put out the fire with water as you can risk electrocution. Once fire is put out call us and your insurance company so we can help make the damage look "Like it never even happened." 

Call SERVPRO Allston, Brighton & Brookline for more information 617-903-5055!

#fire #electricity #SERVPRO #Allston #Brighton #Brookline #lamps #extensioncord

Christmas tree safety tips to keep your home safe over the holiday

12/22/2018 (Permalink)

Happy Holidays to You & Yours!

Christmas tree could be found throughout your house. 

These simple easy tips can prevent a fire from starting within your house this christmas!

  • Always place your tree away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights, and keep the tree base filled with water to avoid a dry out.
  • Make sure all your indoor and outdoor Christmas lights have been tested in a lab by the UL or ETL/ITSNA for safety, and throw out any damaged lights that are broken.
  • Any lights you use outdoors must be labeled suitable for exterior placement, and be sure to plug them into a ground-fault circuit interrupter protected receptacle.
  • Keep all your holiday candles away from your Christmas tree
  • Bedtime means lights off! ­ Don’t forget to turn your Christmas tree lights off each night.
  • Fresh trees are less likely to catch fire, so look for a tree with vibrant green needles that are hard to pluck and don’t break easily from its branches. The tree shouldn’t be shedding its needles readily

After your tree starts to drop needles and some may turn brown it is time to say your last goodbye and throw it outside.  These simple and easy facts can really be a lifesaver come the holidays. If there ever is a problem in your home call SERVPRO of Allston, Brighton & Brookline. 

Office: 617.903.5055