If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (617) 903-5055

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Decrease Chances of a Fire and Your Electric Bill

5/17/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Decrease Chances of a Fire and Your Electric Bill  Fire damage in Dorchester, MA home caused by a lamp

Electrical fires are extremely scary and cannot be simply put out with water. Our crew was called to a Dorchester, MA home because a fire was caused by a lamp (see picture). there was extensive damage to the walls, ceiling and their personal belongings. According to the residents the lamp was left on over night. after further investigation it was uncovered that not only was the lamp connected to an overloaded extension cord but it also had a light bulb with WATTS that exceeded what was recommended by the lamp. 

What can you do?

To prevent something like this from happening to your home - First you must ensure the lamp and light bulb are compatible. Then if you can avoid using an extension cord, do so. Extension cord overload have been a leading cause of fire as well. You need to be cautious of how you are using your extension cords because the more you plug in the higher the chances of a spark. Finally, when you are not using a lamp or any electrical accessory unplug it. This will not only prevent a potential fire but it will also help you save on your electrical bill. the reason being is that even though you physically do not have the lamp, radio, etc. on because it is plugged to an outlet there is active electrical currents going through. 

In the unfortunate event there is a fire caused by electrical equipment call 911 immediately. Do not try to put out the fire with water as you can risk electrocution. Once fire is put out call us and your insurance company so we can help make the damage look "Like it never even happened." 

Call SERVPRO Allston, Brighton & Brookline for more information 617-903-5055!

#fire #electricity #SERVPRO #Allston #Brighton #Brookline #lamps #extensioncord

Other News

View Recent Posts