Power Outage Due to Storm
Storms can cause power outages that can span a couple of hours or even days. In addition, if multiple locations are affected the company may not be able to make it to your home due to being backed up. In the event your town or neighborhood is affected by a power outage here are a few tips to stay safe!
Before the storm:
- Purchase a flash light that runs on batteries
- have extra batteries available
- Invest in a generator if possible or rent one if you know a major storm is coming.
- Keep mobile phones and other electrical devices charged
- Keep your vehicle gas tank full just in case!
- Place a thermometer in your fridge and freezer so you can monitor the temperature during the storm
- Buy food supplies that do not require refrigeration
- Have a plan of where to go if the storm lasts more than 4 days. Community Centers are usually good places to go.
During the storm:
- Disconnect appliances, equipment or electronics
- Use a generator where possible to avoid the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning from running the oven for heat or electrical stove.
- Keep freezer and refrigerators closed. Food will stay cold for about 3 days.
- Stay connected with family or local news so you are up to date on the status of the storm. This will also let you know if evacuation is necessary.
After the storm if you notice damage to your home or business, call SERVPRO of Allston, Brighton & Brookline 617-903-5055 so we can help get you back to pre loss conditions.