Causes of Residential Water Damage in Brookline
SERVPRO Water Mitigation Equipment and Services
Water damage cleanup is a restoration concern that homeowners in Brookline and all over the US encounter. A perforation in plumbing as small as 1/16" or 1/32" of an inch can leak gallons of water into a home over the course of days or weeks, causing utility bills to increase dramatically and potentially creating a suitable environment for mold growth at the expense of a resident's property.
SERVPRO is a water restoration company in Brookline that can implement 24/7 remediation for damaged homes and their contents. These services are available during weekends and holidays and are implemented in compliance with homeowners' wishes, insurance policy terms, and restoration industry standards.
What are the Most Likely Causes of Home Water Damage?
Weather is often cited as one of the most common causes of moisture damage on a property, usually due to structural damage or other phenomena that impact a building's structural integrity. Still, many water-related disasters have nothing to do with storms or other natural phenomena.
Non-weather sources of water damage in a residence can include the following:
- Plumbing failures, including compromised parts, burst pipes, loose fittings, and damaged supply lines
- Clogged drains in tubs, showers, and sinks can damage plumbing and leak copious amounts of water in other areas of the property
- Some damages may be purely accidental, caused by leaving a sink or tub running on a busy day or accidentally overloading a washing machine before rushing off to work
- Water-using appliances ranging from refrigerators to washing machines can cause moisture damage concerns for similar reasons to plumbing failures, such as loose fittings or supply line malfunctions. However, these units also have problems like overflows, drain clogs, and leaky door gaskets that can suddenly unleash copious amounts of moisture into a home
Regardless of the source, SERVPRO water cleanup technicians can detect impacted areas and formulate a drying plan that considers homeowners' needs. This consultation and estimate process also includes photo documentation of damaged contents to help residents file a proof of loss claim where applicable.
Commercial-grade Water Removal Tools and Strategies Used by SERVPRO
SERVPRO's inventory of moisture mitigation tools and tactics includes but is not limited to the following:
- Portable extractors for pulling moisture off the carpeting, curtains, and hard-to-reach areas. These tools can provide up to 140 inches of moisture lift at a time per unit, and often dispense hot water and EPA-registered sanitizers to salvage impacted materials, which can help homeowners save on carpet repair and replacement costs
- Larger truck-mounted extractors are made with large-scale disasters in mind, like pipe bursts that impact multiple floors of a home. These half-ton commercial cleaning units can store over 100 gallons of water for situations requiring it. These extractors are typically not needed for most home water cleanup needs, but they are available when the situation calls for them
- Tools like rover vacuums, mops, squeegees, and gas-powered sump pumps can help save carpeting, basement floors, and hardwood. Specialized rubber pads are especially useful for keeping hardwood planks and subfloors from warping, cupping, or cracking
- After technicians extract the bulk of moisture, the affected space can be dried with high-powered air movers and low-grain refrigerant (LGR) dehumidifiers. These units return homes to a dry condition much faster after extraction than using air movement alone
Homeowners can contact the SERVPRO of Allston, Brighton & Brookline team at (617) 903-5055 for remediation that looks and feels "Like it never even happened."